Wednesday, November 9

The Alligator Pear


Lately I have been on a huge avocado kick. Most likely because it's amazing in about everything I eat: omelets, turkey burgers, pizza, salads, sandwiches, salsas ... the list could go on forever.
So here is a yummy recipe in honor of my current obsession.

Turkey-Avocado Club


Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 8 slices turkey bacon
  • 1 avocado, halved and pitted
  • 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 8 slices whole-grain bread, lightly toasted
  • 8 small leaves romaine lettuce
  • 1 tomato, cut into 8 slices
  • 12 ounces sliced low-sodium deli turkey breast
  • 1/2 small English cucumber, sliced

Directions

Toss the onion with the vinegar and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Let stand 15 minutes, then drain. Meanwhile, cook the turkey bacon as the label directs until crisp.
Mash the avocado with the yogurt in another small bowl until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Lay 4 slices of bread on a cutting board and spread with half of the avocado-yogurt mixture. Top with the lettuce and tomato and season with salt and pepper. Add a layer of turkey breast, bacon, cucumber and red onion. Spread the remaining avocado mixture on the remaining 4 bread slices and place spread-side down on top of the sandwiches. Cut each sandwich in half to serve.

{recipe and photo found here}

Other tasty avocado recipes

7 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing. You know, avacados are a favorite of mine. Craved them majorly when I was preggo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE avocados. I didn't start eating until the last 5-6 years and now I love finding recipes with them in them. it seems like they're delicious in everything! I wish avocado season was year-round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love avocado! Not very easy to find here but when I do, I grab 3 or 4 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh that looks amazingly delish. I want one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES!!!!!!! I don't think I have ever given 7 exclamation points...but seriously, avocados are one of my favorite foods...can't get enough {truly!} xoxoxo brynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had an avocado in the longest time ever. After reading this post it is exactly what I am craving for. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum!! This looks so good!! Avocado's are one of my faves!! Now I'm craving guacamole!!

    ReplyDelete